As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I traveled so much in September and my life is finally back to normal now that it’s the end of October. My house, on the other hand, is a disaster. After devoting several weeks to car shopping (I just bought a Honda CR-V!), I have neglected almost every nook and cranny of my house and it’s really starting to get to me.
Things are getting rough around here. My yard is a disaster and always has been. I don’t know how these folks in suburbia manage to always have such finely manicured lawns – must be the HOAs. I actually live in a neighborhood without that and the only rule that applies to my yard is that weeds can’t be over a foot tall. I’d be lying to you if I told you the city has never cited me for that.
And the inside is a little chaotic too. The bathrooms need a deep clean and I found termite tunnels in our storage room. One of the bathroom fans stopped working and our water filter system has a slow leak. Owning a home isn’t the easiest thing all the time, but I guess it’s better than a neglectful landlord. Writing all of these out is great inspiration to really improve. I’m only twenty-eight and am learning as I go. Just recently, I replaced the O ring on my toilet. That has to count for something, right?
I wanted to make something that would last a few days so I can wake up in the morning and work on my house for a little bit without breaking and these vegan cheddar jalapeño scones seem to be just the ticket. It’s easy! I just pour myself a cup of cold brew and shove a scone in my face and I’m good to get scrubbing.
I’m not the world’s most amazing baker, but I’ve found scones can be quite easy to make even for beginners. In fact, I am almost positive the first vegan pastry I ever baked were cinnamon scones from the Vegan With a Vengeance cookbook. The key to baking great scones is to make sure that when you incorporate the vegan butter into the flour mixture that it resembles a sand-like texture. This will yield you tall fluffy scones!
With vegan cheddar jalapeño scones, my productivity goes way up! From pulling weeds, to deep cleaning the bathroom – I can do all things through scones who strengthens me. They also keep for a few days too so you can have them every morning for a week!
Cheddar jalapeño scones are also an office favorite. Since they’re so easy to make and I almost always have the ingredients on hand, I will whip them up the night before and take them in to share the next day.
The nice thing about these scones is that you can choose your desired level of spiciness by leaving in the jalapeño seeds or taking them out. The first time I made them, I was scared they would be way too spicy so I took the seeds out of half of them and they were so mild! Now I always leave them in. The extra kick is something both me and my boyfriend really enjoy, plus it kinda wakes you up!
It’s nice to focus on scones instead of all the pending housework I have to do, right? Oh what the hell, maybe I should just hire a landscaper.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment or tag me at #hellyesitsvegan on Instagram. Cheers!
Cheddar Jalapeño Scones
- baking sheet
- mixing bowls
- ¾ cup unsweetened original almond milk
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 ½ Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp flax meal
- 2 ½ cups flour, plus more to shape the dough
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ cup cold vegan butter, (I used Earth Balance Buttery Sticks)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ cups shredded vegan cheddar cheese, (I used So Delicious)
- 3 jalapeños, diced (Seeds removed if you want a more mild flavor)
- flake salt, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In one small bowl combine the almond milk and the apple cider vinegar. In another small bowl combine the water and flax meal.
- Using a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder. Stir until evenly incorporated.
- Slice butter into small pieces and combine with the flour mixture. I find it’s easiest to do this with my hands. It’ll take a few minutes but eventually the flour mixture will feel kind of like sand.
- Add the almond milk mixture and flax mixture to the flour mixture kneading until evenly combined.
- Add the cheddar and jalapeños to the mixture. If you have sensitive skin, you might want to wear gloves.
- Flour your hands and a cutting board and shape the dough forming large disc like the photo above.
- Using a knife, slice the dough eight ways and place on a baking sheet. Lightly press some flake salt (optional) on top of the dough. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.